Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Lexi's Pumpkin Farm

Yesterday I had the pleasure of heading out to Canby Oregon to a hidden gem: Lexi's Pumpkin Farm. This is a wonderful family farm full of beautiful, not your grocery store variety, pumpkins and squash. If you are looking for pony rides, hay maze and screaming children, this is not the place! If you want squash so beautiful it would make Martha Stewart cry, this is it!

My friend Celeste and I found Lexi's Farm by accident last year. We were making a drive to a more popular pumpkin farm in Canby when we came upon Lexi's. We had to return this year! Fall decorating is an event for Celeste, and she does an amazing job. I try my best.

So yesterday morning I picked up Celeste for what has become our annual pumpkin hunt. We zipped along 99W enjoying lovely river views and the autumn leaves. Towards the end of Canby we turned right on Barlow Road. The address is 23950 Barlow Road, Canby.

There we met Bill, farmer and proprietor of not only this fine farm but also a restaurant called Curry's Landing in Charboneau (his dishes sound amazing).

As Celeste and I picked our way through his fields, Bill followed us around cutting the orbs we chose right from the vines. He had Spaghetti Squash, gorgeous Blue Moon pumpkins, titan Jack o' Lantern pumpkins, mini pumpkins, yellow pumpkins, white Ghost pumpkins, dark orange Cinderella pumpkins and giant Cinderella pumpkins and more. Really, gorgeous stuff. All at excellent prices.

Bill even got his tractor out to bring us the prize giant Cinderellas that we each picked and then loaded them into my van.

I will probably make a separate trip to Lexi's with my three boys to let them pick out some jack o' lanterns to carve. This trip was all for me!

So if you want some beautiful autumn decor head out to Canby. Tell Bill that the two crazy girls in the gray van who brought aprons and rubber boots to wear in the fields sent you.