Monday, September 29, 2008

Batter Blaster ~ Pancakes from a Spray Can!

I was making my way through the local big grocery store when I stumbled upon the most amazing invention. Pancakes in a spray can. Wow!

I approached with caution. Surely these must be full of trans-fat and other bad stuff. I picked one up and read the label - ORGANIC (really?) Batter Blaster Original Pancake and Waffle Batter. "Just blast batter into a skillet or waffle iron and serve. No mess - no cleanup!"

It comes packaged in a can like the spray whipped cream comes in. So cool! It was sitting on the shelf near the eggs and egg substitute.

So next I read the stuff on the back: Nine servings per container, approximately 28 - 4 inch pancakes. Zero fat or transfat! 10 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 7 g sugars and 3 g protein. Would be nice if the fiber content was higher but this looks pretty good for pancakes. The only chemical that looked suspect was the propellant. And it's on sale - $3.99! I must try this! We usually have a nice big family breakfast on Sunday so I bought a can.

When I returned home I immediately showed husband and the three boys. So exciting! The kids were curious. Husband said he found it disturbing. Hmmm.

Sunday came and as soon as the first boy made his way downstairs we fired up the griddle. I peeled away the cap, gave the can a good shake and sprayed the batter on the heated griddle. It came out like whipped cream at first and then changed to more of a batter-like consistency. Really easy!

The rest was like cooking regular pancakes. How did they taste? The boys all liked the pancakes and ate several. I thought they were good - not quite as good as from scratch but very edible. Husband would not touch them. He still found it all disturbing.

So I would buy them again if they were on sale just to have around for weekday breakfast. On the weekend I would make my old standard from scratch pancakes as husband does like those. This would be great for a school function - a lot healthier than the stuff you add water to and shake. So so easy!

Try them! Let me know what you think!